Friday, September 11, 2009

A Moment to Remember

Today marks the 8th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks here in the US. In the last few years there have been various interviews, articles, and TV programs leading up to and on this date. Yet when I got up today, seemingly the only acknowledgment that this day was any different from others was a series on the History Channel.

While flags may fly at half mast today, it feels like that's exactly where 9/11 has moved to - the history books. To me it feels too soon to have moved on so quickly. Even watching the footage today brings me to tears because it takes me back to that day: the panicked need to know exactly where my loved ones were even though we were no where near the attacks that day and the terror of the unknown that night, of wondering what was to come next and if we could expect more unnecessary carnage.

Unfortunately more carnage has come, whether it was necessary or not I don't think I'm qualified to judge and answer that. And while I don't envy I do respect those required to judge and answer that question. And even beyond that I have the utmost respect and gratitude for those who are willing to face the danger, home and abroad, to protect the lives and safety of the rest of us. There is something so special in the spirits of our military, police, fire fighters, and other emergency responders that certainly sets them apart from the rest. For that, all I can offer is my heartfelt thanks.

No matter how much time continues to pass, I hope none of us forgets what we learned about ourselves that day, about what truly matters in life, and certainly about how we learned to care for those around us without question. The towers may have gone down in a blaze that morning but the spirit and compassion of America was reignited.

No comments: